The sky’s the limit ... or is it?

Last week I wrote about the holy ground at National Shrine of Our Lady of the Martyrs in Auriesville, N.Y., and the desperate financial situation it’s in. And I do pray it can be saved.

In the column I also mentioned that there are “holy grounds” all around us.

I find it amazing that some things that we take for granted every day of our lives can become holy ground if we just look at them with a different perspective; with a “new” set of eyes.

During the winter months, when the four-legged member of our family had to go out one more time for the night, I would impatiently wait for Igor to “find the right spot,” and often that takes more than just a few seconds. I would dance from one foot to the other, turn my coat collar to the wind and try to stay warm as Iggy continued her journey.

But now (finally) as the weather is becoming more seasonal, I’m growing less impatient (unless the Bruins or Red Sox are on) with enduring the pooch’s ritual.

In fact just the other night, she unwittingly provided me with one of those moments of seeing things with a “new” set of eyes.

Looking for a way to keep myself amused while waiting for Iggy, I glanced up at the sky. The stars that could make it through the light pollution of the city were crisp, bright and aglow. That alone made me wonder how far away they were, how large they were, how many years it took for that image to make it to my eyes, and how God can keep track of not only the billions of creatures on earth, but also the trillions of inanimate objects of His creation across the universe and beyond; and possibly other life forms as well.

Then I glanced at the moon. It was brilliant, not quite full, but the details I could see with the naked eye were astonishing. I’ve looked at the moon countless times in my lifetime, but somehow, this time was different.

I could see craters that had to stretch for miles and miles considering the distance of the moon and the size of the scars.

It brought me to another place. When did they happen? How did they happen? If it happened again, would we be witness to it? Why did they happen?

People often say, “Everything happens for a reason,” so I thought what possible reason can exist for those craters. Maybe I slipped into an existential moment or I was waxing philosophical (both out of my league), or maybe I was just contemplating more of God’s holy grounds some place other than on earth.

God knows the number of hairs on my head (a number that is becoming less taxing for Him), and no bird falls from the sky without His knowledge. To paraphrase the late, great Dr. Seuss (and inspiration of our own Deacon Frank Lucca), “Oh the things that God knows!”

I would love to know just what’s going on in the vast heavens we take for granted every day. I would love to know the reason for the Solar System, the Milky Way, the universe, black holes, and beyond. All that came from a dog who had to go out one more time for the night, and a glance up at a moon that looks down on us every night.

There’s holy ground everywhere. We just have to take the time to notice. The sky’s the limit.

davejolivet@anchornews.org

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts