Where is your God?

I awoke this morning with an unexpected tune floating around in my head. The song came out in July 1974, written by legendary Soul and R&B performer Stevie Wonder. It was a cut off his classic vinyl, “Fulfillingness’ First Finale,” titled “Heaven is 10 Zillion Light Years Away.”

This was following a night watching angry people rioting in the streets of Baltimore on the day that Freddie Gray, killed by some evil Baltimore policemen, was laid to rest.

The scenes were ugly, as human beings hurled rocks and bricks at other human beings; burned police cars; looted and burned fellow human beings’ livelihoods; and viciously hampered the efforts of good, but completely outnumbered, police and firefighters in protecting innocent neighbors.

This was following a night watching massive rescue efforts with the slim hopes of finding survivors in last week’s gigantic earthquake in Nepal.

This was following a night watching on TV how radical extremists continued their blood bath against humanity by slitting the throats of five journalists working for a Libyan TV station.

This was following a night watching on the sports stations which college football player would make how many millions of dollars after being drafted into the National Football League this week; while thousands upon thousands of refugees try to scrape up enough food to feed their families each day in a country that is not their own.

This following another day in court deciding if mankind should take the life of convicted marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

This following just another day of thousands of unborn babies who were slaughtered in abortion mills, yet weren’t considered newsworthy.

This following a day when my own plate, already overflowing, had another ladleful heaped upon it.

I feel compelled to print Stevie’s lyrics here, and I’m not quite sure why. But I will.

They say that Heaven is 10 zillion light years away
And just the pure at heart will walk her righteous streets someday
They say that Heaven is 10 zillion light years away
But if there is a God, we need Him now

“Where is your God?”
That’s what my friends ask me
And I say it’s taken Him so long
’Cause we’ve got so far to 
Tell me people

Why can’t they say that hate is 10 zillion light years away?
Why can’t the light of good shine God’s love in every soul?
Why must my color black make me a lesser man?
I thought this world was made for every man

He loves us all, that’s what my God tells me
‘Cause we’ve got so far to come. 
But in my heart I can feel it, yeah,

Feel His Spirit wow oh woo
Feel it, yeah, feel His Spirit 
I can’t say that Heaven is 10 zillion light years away
But if so let all be pure at heart
Just to walk her righteous streets I pray

Let God’s love shine within to save our evil souls
For those who don’t believe will never see the light
“Where is my God?” — He lives inside of me
’Cause we’ve got so far to come.

No people, “where is your God?”
Inside please let Him be
’Cause we’ve got so far to come. 

But if you open your heart you can feel it yeah yeah
Feel His Spirit, yeah
Feel it, feel His Spirit, wow oh wow
Feel it, you can feel His Spirit

I opened my heart one morning and 
I sho nuff could feel it yeah yeah
Feel His Spirit yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
You can feel it, yeah, feel His Spirit
You can feel it, yeah, feel His Spirit.

I’ve highlighted in bold the lines that are resounding in my heart and soul as I write this. Particularly, “Where is your God?”

It’s so hard to feel God now. I do feel Him at Mass and especially in and at the Eucharist. But I have to admit that it’s very difficult for me to carry Him out of the church building with me.

I know there are others like me who cannot make sense of their lives more often than not.

For us, I raise the hope and prayer that “I opened my heart one morning and I sho nuff could feel it, yeah yeah. Feel His Spirit yeah, yeah.”

Until then dear friends, let’s pray for one another and keep the faith — even though it feels like Heaven is 10 zillion light years away.

davejolivet@anchornews.org

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts