Four-of-a-kind? I fold

I hope that those who read my weekly column actually get the chance to read this one. I say that because there are some who are convinced that the end of times will happen this week or weekend.

If that’s the case, I hope it’s after Sunday’s Patriots-Jaguars game. I’d like to have the chance to watch the Patriots one last time before the world ends.

At the poker table any player worth her or his salt would go ga-ga over a hand revealing four-of-a-kind. But not with some Christian prognosticators.

For those who don’t know, this Sunday night will mark the fourth straight total lunar eclipse, a fairly rare phenomenon, but not all that unusual.

This has raised the ears and imaginations of modern day “prophets,” with the theory of the “Four Blood Moons,” and their relation to the end of times.

Scientists actually say that no one knows if a full moon will be the color of blood until it actually appears in the sky. A blood moon (Hunter’s Moon) is usually the first full moon after the Harvest Moon, usually occurring in late October.

Yet, these soothsayers know better — even better than the Lord Himself Who said of the end of times in Matthew, “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of Heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.” And certain pastors I guess.

I have to admit that ever since I found out the moon wasn’t made of cheese, the orb hasn’t had that much of an impact on my life.

And if the world doesn’t end this weekend, the collapse of America isn’t far behind. That’s because several “learned” individuals know that the banks will fail, sending all of us into a world of anarchy.

The way I look at it is I don’t have that much money to lose, so I can still sleep at night.

And if the Four Blood Moons or the collapse of America doesn’t get me soon, Facebook will.

There are many well-intentioned, but I believe misinformed people on social media who feel that if you like and share a picture of Jesus within five minutes of seeing it on your timeline you will become rich and worry-free. If you don’t share it or if you delete it, you will experience bad things within the next 24 hours.

The way I look at that one is that the bad thing that happened was receiving that post in the first place. Delete.

Finally, there are those who are just waiting for something to happen to Pope Francis during his U.S. visit. An ISIS attack in particular.

If Pope Francis heeded any of the theories floating around in each of the lands he visits, he’d never leave his humble home at the Vatican.

He would just connect with his sheep via Facebook — but then he’d have to beware of Jesus pictures threatening bad luck.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t pray for the Holy Father’s safety, it simply means, like the blood moons, total anarchy, and creepy Jesus Facebook posts, there is only so much we can control.

Perhaps folks should concentrate more on the here and now, and leave the future to the Almighty. God knows the here and now is a mess, and that beats four-of-a-kind any day.

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts