We are our greatest allies to each other

We see it seemingly every day. It could be in a restaurant, a hotel, a stadium, a theater, a bus, a subway, a plane, in school, at work, or simply walking down the street.

Before Friday the 13th in Paris, it was probably one of the furthest things on our minds. But terrorist attacks are now becoming a painful way of life — one that should make us more vigilant and observant of our surroundings.

Our new way of life means that we never know what will happen when we leave home, or work or school, or walk to the corner store.

Every corner of the world is being infiltrated by people, and I use that term in the loosest form possible, who do not care about human beings, about God, about life, or anything but themselves. In fact, I’m surprised they even trust each other.

The concept of killing all who don’t agree with your ideologies is not new. My gosh, it started with Cain and Abel, and has escalated exponentially ever since.

Terrorism is the new buzz word. It’s on everyone’s mind and lips, thanks in large part to the saturating coverage it gets on electronic media.

The perpetrators do not appear to be human, because no child of God could ever have such a cold, empty soul. There are possible explanations for that, but I’ll leave that up to theologians and experts in that field.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving in the U.S., and I don’t know as I write this before our beloved holiday has reached us, if anything evil took place, but I can be sure that there was plenty of apprehension all over the world in anticipation of the evil ones’ next move.

As I mentioned, terrorism is now a way of life. But that doesn’t mean we must stay away from restaurants, hotels, stadiums, theaters, buses, trains, planes, school, work, or a leisurely stroll down the road. Life has to go on for us.

But what this new way of life should mean for us is to live in the here and now. Joni Mitchell once sang, “Don’t it always seem to go, that you don’t know what you got ’til it’s gone.”

Our new world is one where we should cherish each moment, especially moments with family and friends.

Instead of deluxe vacations and trips, what should be enjoyed is the simple company of each other. Simple pleasures like sitting in the living room with your spouse, your children, your parents, and/or your friends. Talking, laughing, sharing our day, our fears, our hopes, our dreams, and our love.

There is no suicide bomber who can take that away.

A hug or a kiss to a loved one on their way out the door has never meant so much as it does now. One never knows what one may encounter once outside the warm confines of home.

A sincere and heartfelt “I love you,” should be our daily mantra.

Let’s not live in fear, let’s live in gratitude, in appreciation of one another, because we are our greatest allies to each other in the evil new world.

Actually, it warms my heart to think that such good can come from the barbaric action of others. Terrorism shouldn’t make us afraid — it should make us think — of each other.

davejolivet@anchornews.org

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts