Did you know?

I can’t think of any occasion that has evoked more books, movies and songs than Christmas. In all genres of entertainment, the list of Christmas-themed works is endless.

With all those “works of art,” there are bound to be some clunkers — and there are. Some of the movies, books and songs are down right inane, silly, irreverent, and pointless — from a Christian point of view. For those who view Christmas in a purely secular light, these “Christmas” pieces are highly-regarded.

But it’s the works inspired by the true meaning of Christmas that warm the heart and soul.

I have a couple of absolute favorites. Charles Dickens’ classic “A Christmas Carol,” is spot-on with its message, and the story has been made into a plethora of movies, most of which hold true to the theme of redemption and kindness to our fellow man.

My favorite song is by far Franz Gruber’s “Silent Night.” Again, this masterpiece has been recorded hundreds of times, and very few of the versions miss the mark.

Many of the classic Christmas carols are inspirational and capture the wonderful event of Our Savior’s birth.

But there’s a fairly contemporary song whose words and melody affect me as much as the standards. The song, “Mary Did You Know,” by Mark Lowry and Buddy Greene was written in 1991, and hasn’t garnered all that much attention. I heard it for the first time this year, a heart-warming version by Pentatonix. I share the lyrics with you now and hope they touch your soul on this, the birthday of the Christ Child.

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know that your Baby Boy has come to make you new?
This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know that your Baby Boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little Baby you kissed the face of God?

Mary did you know?
The blind will see.
The deaf will hear.
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap.
The dumb will speak the praises of The Lamb.

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy is Lord of all Creation?
Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy would one day rule the nations?
Did you know that your Baby Boy is Heaven’s perfect Lamb?
The sleeping Child you’re holding is the Great, I Am.

I wish all those who read this column a very blessed Christmas season and all good things and peace for 2016.

Thanks for your kind letters and support through this past year, and I pray and ask for your prayers, that The Anchor may continue its wonderful work for years to come.

davejolivet@anchornews.org

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts