Where’s the beef? Why, they’re all around us

In early 1984, America was introduced to good old Clara Peller, whose meteoric rise in popularity was dizzying. Who, you may ask, was Clara Peller?

It’s quite simple really, she can be recognized by three simple words: “Where’s the beef?”

Yes, Clara was that gruff, yet somehow charming, elderly woman who relentlessly rummaged through a large burger bun looking for the actual burger.

Yep, at that moment, the Wendy’s burger chain discovered the next Marilyn Monroe, albeit with some differences.

If dear Clara was alive today (and after her death I truly hope she did find the beef in every burger she’s had since — Heaven to me), and should she again inquire, “Where’s the beef?” the answer would be quite simple — they’re all around her.

The cattle of which she searched could today be found in her neighbors, family, friends, employees at the stores at which she would shop, and in the musicians to which she would listen, and the actors and actresses to which she would see on the large and small screens. 

We are all cattle, we are all beef, led, poked, prodded and branded by the mainstream American media.

I voted this morning in the Massachusetts presidential primary, and if the media is right, my vote pretty much didn’t mean anything. The results are foregone conclusions.

I find two realities in America really unbelievable — at least in a country of supposedly learned people. 1.) How Republicans and Democrats can both be considered Americans; and 2.) How you can watch, listen to, or read various news outlets and get a vast dichotomy of “facts,” when in reality it’s mostly opinion.

Yet, in the continuing dumbing down of Americans, so many choose sides and take what they hear as Gospel.

This isn’t new for the media. Back in the ’70s and ’80s networks would be able to project a presidential winner before the polls even closed in the western time zone — virtually making those citizens’ votes barren.

There are those Americans who won’t get out and vote because the results are “already” in — a big boon to certain candidates.

No news anchor, rock star or Hollywood hero is going to tell me how to vote.

I voted this morning because I want to feel like my ballot makes a difference. I don’t know if it does. I vote because it’s a privilege given to me by the blood and lives of thousands of brave American brothers and sisters.

And come November, I will cast a ballot for the next President of the United States, and again, I don’t know if it will make a difference. I fear, because I know where the beef is.

davejolivet@anchornews.org

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts