My little chickadees

One of my favorite expressions is “It’s tough to soar with eagles when you’re flying with turkeys.” Although I do love turkeys, as ornery as they are. This must be a record for me, digressing in the very first sentence of my column. But I digress again.

Anyway, I like the saying because there are far too many negative people in the world today for my liking. Granted, it is a mad world, mad meaning not only insane but angry.

There is a Facebook page of which I follow about Massachusetts and they routinely post photos of various locations in the Commonwealth sent in by people who love this area. 

The photos are spectacular and beautiful. We live in a very picturesque area.

I decided to share a photo I took at the North Watuppa Pond of the water and the woods and a bush that was occupied by five of the chubbiest chickadees you could find. Not to pat myself on the back because it was God’s artwork and I was only the photographer, but the picture was magnificent. It was identified as “a peaceful image of the beautiful Fall River.”

The picture garnered 200 likes, scores of shares and a few comments. Yet there was one comment that said, “Yeah, and right behind him someone is getting mugged.”

I couldn’t for the life of me imagine why someone would be so arrogant and vain to post such a comment. There isn’t a city or town in this great region that doesn’t have crime, bad sections and problems. On the other hand, there isn’t a city or town in this area that doesn’t have its own intrinsic beauty.

Perhaps this dude lives in his own Garden of Eden, or perhaps he’s too dense to find the blessings provided by God outside his shallow little world.

I know this sounds negative, but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. This guy may believe Fall River is the crime capital of New England, but I still think it’s beautiful, my little chickadees.

davejolivet@anchornews.org

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts