Drought relief

Having a deep affinity for the wacky world of sports has had, for me, its highs and lows for the last five-plus decades.

I’ve seen leagues in all sports for kids where fathers were the coaches for their sons, and that translated into all the playing time in the world for the coddled young athletes.

In high school, as long as one could hit a ball a country mile; throw 90 MPH; bowl over would-be tacklers; or dribble through a full-court press, that person could pretty much do as he please — and often did.

In college one is not hard-pressed to find a stellar athlete, who can’t put together two sentences in proper syntax, receive a full four-year free ride at a prestigious university, while some of their peers with great intelligence and aspirations struggle to find the means to attend a college or university, or who cannot attend at all because of their dire life situations. And who knows what other “perks” are part of the free ride through school.

Truth be told, it seems to have gotten much worse through the years, from pee-wees to the pros, where even a mediocre performer can make more in a year than the Haitian gross national product.

It’s the sports and the drama and the competition that captures my heart and imagination — not the many selfish egotists who saturate the playing fields.

Well, enough of my tirade. The reason I’m writing this column is to bring out the good in sports.

Tonight (Tuesday night) is the first game of the 2016 World Series — a series that has captured the attention of this country more than it has in a long, long time.

Two teams in long, long championship droughts are facing off, with one of them to come out on top of the world for the first time in my lifetime.

The Chicago Cubs haven’t won the pennant in 108 years, and haven’t even been to the big dance since 1945. The Cleveland Indians haven’t tasted the spoils of victory in 67 years, last winning the pennant in 1948. They at least played in a World Series in 1997.

For me, this is a no-lose series. One of these long-suffering organizations and cities will feel the thrill of victory.

With both clubs having strong ties to the Red Sox, I don’t mind seeing either of them win. But my heart goes out to the Cubbies. There are very few people in this world who were alive the last time they won it all, and more than likely no one alive who remembers it.

Red Sox fans know the pain well. It took our beloved Sox 87 years to end their drought. I can truly feel what both cities are feeling right now, and I’m not envious in the least. I’m thrilled for them.

May the best team win this year’s World Series (go Cubbies!!!). Either way, the country is in for a rare treat this fall classic.

I’d like to take the time to shout out a huge thank you to the individual who sent a $1,000 check to The Anchor for us to forward on to Haitian relief. Be assured it is on its way. May God bless your generosity, and may the poor souls in Haiti benefit from it.

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts