We must make it feel like Christmas

At this time, more than 2,000 years ago, a young, pregnant Mary and her loving husband Joseph, were making the arduous trek across terrain that was neither level, nor easy to travel.

It was roughly an 80-mile journey they were on in weather that could change like New England’s. It was cold at night and often rainy during the day. And there was always a threat from wild animals, and worse yet, wild human marauders.

The world, too, was in disarray. Israel was under the crushing rule of the Roman Empire. Hunger and poverty were everywhere; as were power and money mongers.

Not too much different than today.

In our own country, we see daily images of racism, murder, protests, selfishness, entitlement, and greed. So, too, does the rest of the world.

Add to that my own personal struggles and there really isn’t much for me to “hope” for this Advent.

So I thought, until I was retaught a lesson by a group of puppets and a few human actors in Brian Henson’s brilliant “A Muppet Christmas Carol.”

We all know the Dickens’ classic and the transformation of Ebenezer Scrooge. But it’s good to see it performed again — whatever the rendition.

In any production, for me anyway, the Muppets are real, and in the movie, they bring alive how mankind should treat each other. Ironic in a way.

The closing song, “When love is found, it feels like Christmas,” written by the underrated Paul Williams, is such a heartwarming scene. It restored the hope of Advent for me. I offer it here for you with my hopes for this world and our future.  

It’s in the singing of a street corner choir;
it’s going home and getting warm by the fire;
it’s true, wherever you find love,
it feels like Christmas.

A cup of kindness that we share with another;
a sweet reunion with a friend or a brother;
in all the places you find love,
it feels like Christmas.

It is the season of the heart.
A special time of caring, the ways of love made clear.
It is the season of the Spirit, the message,
if we hear it, is make it last all year.

It’s in the giving of a gift to another;
a pair of mittens that were made by your mother.
It’s all the ways that we show love,
that feels like Christmas.

A part of childhood we’ll always remember;
it is the summer of the soul in December,
yes, when you do your best for love,
it feels like Christmas

It is the season of the heart.
A special time of caring, the ways of love made clear.
It is the season of the Spirit, the message,
if we hear it, is make it last all year.

It’s true, wherever you find love,
it feels like Christmas.

davejolivet@anchornews.org

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts