We have become an overly “connected” people. Most of us are seldom without a phone, tablet or laptop and most of the time spent on those devices is used to ‘communicate’ with others. 

We share every detail and every moment of our lives on Facebook. Even such mundane pronouncements as when we’ve arrived at a location or what we’ve had for breakfast. We’re connected and then again we’re not.

One only needs to look around at a group of people, whether on campus or at the mall, to see that just about everyone is carrying some sort of electronic device. People seldom look up to acknowledge each other any more. They just look at their screens. Do we ever even use these devices for phone calls anymore? The human species may someday adapt by having eyes on the top of our heads too, so we can see where we’re going while we text or post on these devices. 

Yes, we are connected but then again, maybe we’re not. Surrounded by other people, many choose to communicate with those who are not there rather than those who stand just a few feet away. Are we losing the ability to connect face-to-face? 

While social media is a way to stay connected with others, are we so “connected” that we miss what is going on around us? How does an important message get through all that texting or posting or YouTube videos? 

Getting the message of Jesus Christ out to others is our role as His disciples. However, are we too distracted to get the message out to others, or are others too distracted to receive the message? Are we so busy “communicating” that we miss the message intended for us. 

Fortunately, Jesus will go to any length to call us to Him and He doesn’t text or use Facebook. He reaches out to us in very special ways.

We’re all called in different ways. While I was fortunate to grow up in a loving, faithful family, it really wasn’t until later in life that I felt a real call from Jesus. I like to say that in my young life I never said no to Christ, it’s just that I never said yes either. It wasn’t until 1988 that I heard His call. I’m glad that I answered. Through the efforts and prodding of my wife, I attended a weekend retreat called Cursillo and I have to say it was a life-altering experience. Jesus didn’t use a cell phone or text me (as most people didn’t have them back then anyway), but it was a clear connection nonetheless. Through the people he placed on that weekend, I heard what He had to say to me — loud and clear. I felt a gentle tug on my heart. When I left the Cursillo weekend, I knew exactly what He wanted me to do. My ministry as a deacon and my work with youth today are direct outgrowths of that Cursillo weekend.

There are many opportunities in your life to get the call from Jesus. He’s calling you all the time. In fact, He might be calling you right now. You just have to listen. He’s asking you to go out and spread His Word to others — to do His work. He wants you to answer. Are you ready to answer His call or are you so busy texting and posting that you don’t even hear what He has to say to you? 

I think one of the best opportunities to hear the voice of Jesus and what He may be calling you to, is to remove yourself or “retreat” for a while just as I had. But don’t wait 36 years as I did. Besides your local parish retreats, there are many other opportunities here in our diocese to attend a retreat. For post-Confirmation young people in grades nine-12, the YES! Retreat to be held on April 10-12 at Cathedral Camp is a perfect opportunity to learn what Christ wants for you. For those in college and into early adulthood, Catholic Campus Ministry offers a number of retreats such as the Seekers’ Retreat or the Jesus Retreat ( which will be held on February 20-22 at Sacred Hearts Retreat Center; an Emmaus Retreat (, like one being held March 20-22 might be the opportunity. There are other opportunities like ECHO ( also offered in our diocese. Take a look at one of these opportunities if you feel the call to do so.

Some of us may have other opportunities to get the call. A priest, teacher or friend might help us hear the call. Just listen. He’s reaching out to you all the time!

Even if you’ve answered the call, sometimes in our lives the signal fades and we can’t hear Jesus anymore. That’s what is so great about our God. Jesus will continue to call and call and call until we answer again. I guess that’s the key — we have to be the one to answer. When we finally do answer, we’ll hear that crystal-clear voice telling us that we are always welcome back and He’ll tell us exactly what He wants us to do. We just have to be open, to listen and then act on the call. 

And never worry how long you talk, long distance charges do not apply!

Anchor columnist Frank Lucca is a permanent deacon in the diocese of Fall River, a youth minister at St. Dominic’s Parish in Swansea, and a campus minister at UMass Dartmouth. He is married to his wife of 36 years, Kristine, and the father of two daughters and their husbands, and an 11-month-old grandson. Comments, ideas or suggestions? Please email him at

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts