Do something

Have you ever had a song stuck in your head? It plays over and over and you just can’t locate the pause button no matter how hard you try? Sometimes that song might just be a catchy little tune and other times, it might very well be a message. I’ve learned to listen to those messages!

That song is “Do Something” by Matthew West. I originally came across this song a while back when the CLI grads chose it when planning the closing prayer service at the Diocesan Youth Convention that took place last weekend. 

The song not only played out in my head over the last week, but I actually saw it in action. This message to do something was clearly heard by a number of our UMass Dartmouth students who volunteered to participate in an alternative spring break. Not the usual spring break somewhere warm and sunny with partying 24/7, but where they were really needed. Where they could do something. Right here in our backyard.

The song keeps playing in my head. “I woke up this morning, saw a world full of trouble now. Thought how’d we ever get so far down? How’s it ever gonna turn around? So I turned my eyes to Heaven. I thought, ‘God, why don’t You do something?’ He said, ‘I did, I created you.’”

Each day was filled with service and each evening was devoted to prayer, reflection and discussion of what was done each day and what was accomplished. When asked why they would want to give up their spring break to serve their brothers and sisters, my favorite reply was, “If I don’t do something, who will?” Hmm. That song started playing in my head again after hearing that!

Playing: “We are the salt of the earth, We are a city on a hill. But we’re never gonna change the world, by standing still.”

The busy week began with serving dinner at the Salvation Army in New Bedford. The next morning, they were up and ready to serve breakfast at Mercy Meals and More at 6 a.m. 

The next day, we spent a good part of the day at my favorite service organization, My Brother’s Keeper. What a privilege to deliver furniture to four families that day! Even though much of the furniture was delivered to the third floor, up tiny staircases, never once did I hear a complaint. And it was cold that day! The look on the students’ faces and particularly on the faces of those who received their service said it all! Today, so many of us Christians talk so much about being the Hands and Feet of Christ, but never really displaying what that looks like. That particular day I saw the Hands and Feet of Christ in action in our young people carrying and climbing. What a blessing! 

My Brother’s Keeper says that their mission states nothing of the physical objects they deliver. It is purposely clear and simple, one sentence only, their compass: “To bring the love and hope of Jesus Christ to those we serve.”

At My Brother’s Keeper, they strive to follow the words of St. Francis of Assisi: “Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary use words.” They serve men, women, and children in their time of need, with dignity and respect. They do not preach and do not judge.

To accomplish their mission, their loving service is always accompanied by some symbol of Christ conveying the help comes from God through them. 

Though they are a Christian ministry, with Catholic roots, they help people of all faiths and backgrounds. Anyone living in our service area is eligible to receive their help, regardless of religion. If you know someone in need or if you should have some great furniture to let go of, get in touch with them and they and student volunteers will come by and pick it up (

Here it goes again: “I’m so tired of talking, about how we are God’s Hands and Feet. But it’s easier to say than to be. Live like angels of apathy who tell ourselves, it’s alright, ‘Somebody else will do something.’”

On Friday, we spent the afternoon at another wonderful service organization, Gifts to Give. They state that their primary mission is to give all SouthCoast young people — the privileged and those in-need — an opportunity to practice big citizenship and tangible philanthropy through their gifts of time and treasure. In the last year 12,500 young people and young adults came to understand, through their “doing” the power of giving and service and that we all have gifts to give. We spent the day sorting clothing and again they did so without complaint and with real joy (

And it plays on: “If not us, then who, If not me and you? Right now, it’s time for us to do something. If not now, then when? Will we see an end to all this pain? It’s not enough to do nothing. It’s time for us to do something.”

The week wound up with service projects at the Sharing the Harvest YMCA Farm in Dartmouth, and the Allen Wildlife Sanctuary. 

Cue the song: “Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m sick and tired of life with no desire. I don’t want a flame, I want a fire. I wanna be the one who stands up and says, ‘I’m gonna do something.’”

How many times have we seen what is going on around us and asked God, why He doesn’t fix it. The “aha” moment happens when God responds by saying, “I did something, I created you. You go out and change the world and make it a better place.”

The change has to start with each and every one of us. What could we be capable of in our own lives, our towns and neighborhoods, if we are willing to step out and be willing? I wonder how God might use our lives to change the world! Think about that and sing along with me, “Right now, it’s time for us to do something. If not now, then when will we see an end to all this pain? It’s not enough to do nothing, It’s time for us to do something.”

I hope the song’s message is stuck in your head now too!

Anchor columnist Frank Lucca is a permanent deacon in the Diocese of Fall River, a youth minister at St. Dominic’s Parish in Swansea, and a campus minister at UMass Dartmouth. He is married to his wife of 36 years, Kristine, and the father of two daughters and their husbands, and a 13-month-old grandson. Comments, ideas or suggestions? Please email him at

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts