Rest stop ahead

With two recently born grandsons, my wife and I are spending more time on the road traveling from here to western Connecticut to spend time with our children and grandchildren. With many hours on the road each week, I’ve noticed that there seems to be a lot more construction going on. And there are signs everywhere telling us what to do and where to go. I know we probably grow so accustomed to seeing signs that perhaps we don’t pay much attention to them. But they are there, guiding us on our journey, nonetheless. And if we don’t pay attention to them, well, we could very well end up in a ditch or something worse!

Stop. Keep Out. Bump. Merge. One Way. Like a highway journey, so goes life. We’re on the road. We’re on the way. Signs guide the way. 

For many of you reading this, you are embarking on another part of your journey of life. Some are heading to high school, others off to college. Perhaps others are heading to a new city or starting a new job. As you will soon learn or may have already learned, the road of life is a sometimes flat, easy ride and other times a twisting, turning, pothole-filled path with hills and valleys. In all cases, on the road there are road signs along the way to guide us through. Bump ahead. Time to slow down and hold on. Construction ahead. Time to be cautious. Curve, slow down! Still on the journey. A way to go before our final destination.

We’re all on this journey called life. We can read the signs or move blindly on hoping to somehow get to our destination. Sometimes we’ll make good time and other times we’ll get bogged down. Moving ahead too quickly, doing things we’re not supposed to — we’ll get stopped, hopefully, before we do something to hurt someone else or ourselves. And of course, sometimes getting to that dead-end and having to turn around and find our way back.

As you move on to the next phase of your journey, I encourage you to heed the signs that are there to get you to your destination safely. In life we call those signs parents, teachers, priests, and good friends. They’ll help you steer your way and to stay on the road to your final destination. Don’t be fooled by some signs that may lure you to somewhere you don’t want to go, especially those bright neon signs off the side of the road that try to make you take the exit. Those signs that try to make the evil and bad look good and attractive. Pay attention and you’ll know which signs to look for and to pay attention to. In all cases stay on the road.

Here comes the next sign: Slow down — Rest Stop Ahead. I think we can all use a short break before the next phase of the journey begins. Enjoy the summer. As you prepare to move up a grade, or to head off to college or work, watch for the signs in your life and thank God for placing them in your path. He will never steer you wrong. Travel safely. See you along the way. 

Anchor columnist Frank Lucca is a permanent deacon in the diocese of Fall River, a youth minister at St. Dominic’s Parish in Swansea, and a campus minister at UMass Dartmouth. He is married to his wife of 37 years, Kristine, and the father of two daughters and their husbands, and three grandsons. So blessed! Comments, ideas or suggestions? Please email him at DeaconFrankLucca@comcast.net.

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts