God is always around in the little and simple things

They came to Jericho. And as Jesus was leaving Jericho with His disciples and a sizable crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind man, the son of Timaeus, sat by the roadside begging. On hearing that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me.” And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he kept calling out all the more, “Son of David, have pity on me.” Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.” So they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take courage; get up, He is calling you.” He threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus. Jesus said to him in reply, “What do you want Me to do for you?” The blind man replied to Him, “Master, I want to see.” Jesus told him, “Go your way; your faith has saved you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Him on the way (Mk 10:46-52). 

When you call on the Lord, do you sometimes get the feeling He’s not listening? Some people find it difficult to hear the Lord, and, in a crisis situation, feel like God is ignoring them altogether. Is He really? 

I wonder if the real reason we can’t hear God speaking to us is because we limit ourselves to the way we want to hear God. Can’t God speak to us in any way He chooses? If we choose the way God speaks to us then I believe we are unknowingly ignoring His answer to our prayers, His saving grace. If you believe that God never abandons us, then you must also believe that He answers our pleas. The problem is, are we listening the way we should?

And once your prayer is answered, what continues to trouble you? Oh yes, Jesus’ request to follow Him. That’s the unknown. Follow Him where? Why? The blind man had no trouble following Christ because he believed and trusted in Him. Do you believe and trust in Jesus? 

You also know the story of the rich young man who asked Jesus what he must do to have eternal life. Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven. Then come, follow Me.” When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions. Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Amen, I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God” (Mt 19: 21-24). 

Our worldly possessions don’t make us perfect. In fact, they can be obstacles to inheriting eternal life. The same is true with your faith. You fall often to sin, but you get up each time and ask forgiveness and promise to try to do better. You trust in God to be there for you always. And God is always there. But, sometimes the fear of the unknown still remains — that can be a scary thing. Don’t be afraid to follow Jesus. What He asks you to do is only for good, never to harm you. If only the rich young man could have understood this. 

Next time you ask the Lord to hear your plea be open to the way God chooses to answer you or call you. I share this story, author unknown, with all young people in ministry as a hope for them to be open to any way God chooses to speak to them. It’s titled “God, Speak to Me”:

The man whispered, ‘God, speak to me.’ And a meadowlark sang. But the man did not hear. 

So the man yelled ‘God, speak to me.’ And the thunder and  lightning rolled across the sky. But the man did not listen. 

The man looked around and said, ‘God, let me see You.’ And a star shined brightly. But the man did not see. 

And, the man shouted, ‘God, show me a miracle.’ And a life was born. But the man did not notice. 

So, the man cried out in despair, ‘Touch me, God, and let me know You are here.’ Thereupon, God reached down and touched the man. But the man brushed the butterfly away and walked off unknowingly.” 

This is a great reminder that God is always around us in the little and simple things that we take for granted. The Good News is that you are loved. 

Don’t miss out on a blessing because it isn’t packaged the way that you expect.

God bless!

Anchor columnist Ozzie Pacheco is Faith Formation director at Santo Christo Parish, Fall River.

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts