Happy anniversary

Happy Anniversary to me! I just celebrated four years of Marriage with my husband (I know — we are a Hollywood success story). As I write this article I am celebrating my one-year anniversary with The Anchor so congratulations to all of you for making it through a year with me! 

Anniversaries are funny things. Some people celebrate more anniversaries than others. Some celebrate month-long anniversaries (or as I hear they are called, “monthaversaries”). 

Some people celebrate Marriage or dating anniversaries. Some people celebrate friendship anniversaries (“friendaversaries”). 

Last week I went out to breakfast with two friends of mine and we were planning what we are going to do next year when we celebrate our 30th anniversary of friendship. I have married friends who even celebrated the anniversary of the first text they sent to each other (between you and me, I think this is too much but to each his own on this one). And lastly some anniversaries are not happy anniversaries. 

Next week is the nine-month anniversary of my dad’s passing. I will be taking his remains to his final place of rest in Mississippi. He always wanted to retire there so that is where he will retire. 

I did not think I was much of an anniversary person but the more I thought about it, the more I realized how many anniversaries we really celebrate. 

I love birthdays! I always have. I love to gather with all the people I love and celebrate the anniversary of the day I was born (which is July 23, if anyone wants to send me a happy birthday email). I love to celebrate my loved ones’ birthdays. 

My mom and my brother hate celebrating their birthday. They hate getting older. I feel like there is no better way to say “I love you” then “Yay I am so glad that you were born.”

Our holidays are all anniversaries as well. We celebrate the anniversary of the birth of America, the anniversary of a new year, and the anniversary of the first Thanksgiving. We memorialize many anniversaries.

When we look at our faith, we celebrate many anniversaries as well. Every December 25 we celebrate the anniversary of the birth of our Savior. Every Pentecost we celebrate the anniversary of the birthday of the Church. 

Every spring we celebrate the anniversary of the Resurrection of our Lord. Three days prior we remember the anniversary of the death of Christ. Every day at Mass we recognize the anniversary of the Last Supper. 

Our faith and our culture put a great emphasis on anniversaries. I think we need to be mindful when celebrating or remembering anniversaries that we need to remember the reason we have anniversaries. When we celebrate Marriage or relationship anniversaries, we should not celebrate them without thanking God for the gift of that person in our lives. 

When we celebrate the anniversary of a loved one’s death, we cannot forget to pray to God for the gift of their life and for their soul. When we celebrate the anniversary of our birth, we must not forget to thank God for the gift of our own lives and for our parents who chose to say yes to life. 

While it is not something that I would do, thinking about my friend and her anniversary of their first text, made me realize that maybe it is not such a bad thing. There is so much sadness in the world; maybe we should celebrate the small everyday things as well. For those people trying to quit smoking, celebrate every day you go smoke free. For those of us dieting, celebrate the days where you choose carrot sticks over cheesecake. 

Celebrate the anniversary of a first date, a graduation, a first word, a first conversation. Anniversaries remind us that God is in every moment. He is not just there on the one-month or on the one-year or the 10-year but He is in every day, every moment in between. Celebrate the small anniversaries as well as the big anniversaries recognizing God in all of it. 

And thanks for spending the last year with me here at The Anchor. Happy anniversary to us!

Anchor columnist Amanda Tarantelli has been a campus minister at Bishop Stang High School in North Dartmouth since 2005. She is married, a die-hard sports fan, and resides in Cranston, R.I. She can be reached at atarantelli@bishopstang.org.

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts