Seasons of hope

It is that time of year again! Yes, Easter season! Happy Easter. It is also the season of spring! And for all of you fellow members of Red Sox Nation, it is baseball season! Three of my favorite seasons! These three seasons have more in common than that they all fall around the same time of year. When I think of these three seasons I think of hope. 

I think that hope is something that we do not have an overabundance of in our world. We are bombarded with images of destruction and of terrorism. We turn on the news and we see stories about another mass murder or a natural disaster that has torn apart a state or a country. We go on to any of our social media outlets and we see celebrities behaving like unruly children, gossip about other people and most saddening, pictures of our loved ones making destructive decisions. It is easy to see why hope is difficult to find at times. These three seasons, however, serve as a reminder to us that hope is always present.

Easter is the obvious choice for the reminder of hope. The hope of the Resurrection! The hope of the power of God changing the cross from an instrument of death into a symbol of victory! The late Cardinal Basil Hume, Archbishop of Westminster, once said, “The great gift of Easter is hope — Christian hope which makes us have that confidence in God, in His ultimate triumph, and in His goodness and love, which nothing can shake.” Hope is the foundation of Easter. It is a fundamental virtue of the Christian life. We are constantly reminded that we are not a Good Friday people! Rather we are an Easter people who are rooted firmly in the promise of the cross!

Spring is the next most obvious symbol of hope. All that has faded away in fall, all that has died in winter is made anew in the spring. I left my house early the other morning and maybe I hadn’t fully woken up yet or maybe things were as they appeared, but when I arrived back at my house later that day, everything had seemed to blossom. It was such a great reminder to see my once dead plant, alive and flourishing with these beautiful purple flowers. I am trying to sell my house right now and it has been a bit of a struggle so my first thought when I saw the flowers was, “Great! Maybe with everything in bloom it will help sell my house.” It was that fleeting thought of selling my home that reminded me of the hope that we need. It is easy to despair when life seems to not be cooperating, but sometimes it’s the gentle reminder of a little purple flower, that we must not give up. New York Times writer and author Hal Boreland once wrote, “No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn.” It may seem like it is a long winter but we know that there will always be a spring.

And the last and less obvious season of hope, baseball season! I have been waiting since the Super Bowl for the baseball season to start. Actually, I have been waiting since the disaster of last baseball season for this new season to start. There is something refreshing about the start of the baseball season. Every team thinks this is the year. Every fan knows that their town will have a parade at the end of the season. Mary Schmich, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist once wrote, “Opening day. All you have to do is say the words and you feel the shutters thrown wide, the room air out, the light pour in. In baseball, no other day is so pure with possibility. No scores yet, no losses, no blame or disappointment.”

As a proud Red Sox fan, through thick and thin, there is no greater day than Opening Day. It is a day filled with hope. It is the one day in the season where anything is possible. Sure there are analysts who will make their guesses on how the season will play out, but they do not know for sure. The start of the season however, is the one day where anything and everything is possible. 

I pray that whatever your life situation may be, whatever obstacles may lie ahead, you remember that during these three great seasons, there is always an Easter after Good Friday, a spring after winter and an Opening Day after a last-place finish! 

Anchor columnist Amanda Tarantelli has been a campus minister at Bishop Stang High School in North Dartmouth since 2005. She is married, a die-hard sports fan, and resides in Cranston, R.I. She can be reached at atarantelli@bishopstang.org.

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts